Day in history for August 30, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- We learn from Dr. Gregg that Mr. Eby, the young man who was so badly injured at Moline, is recovering.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- At the most exciting public meeting ever held in the courthouse, citizens demanded that the Rock Island council appropriate $135 to build a sewer from Harper's new opera house.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Arthur Mosenfelder, captain of the Rock Island High School football team, has called the first practice session.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Albert Gadient won the golf championship of Black Hawk Hills Country Club.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- It looks as though saddles are the great All-American shoes as far as Rock Island's younger generation, now preparing for back-to-school, is concerned. In shop windows and on well-stocked shelves, you'll see the ``hardy perennial'' in brown-and-white, blue-and-white, black-and-white and red-and-white.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Burgers! Tacos! And more burgers! A person can't walk or drive down Moline's 23rd Avenue without being bombarded by signs urging him to buy something, eat something, or both. Moline is close to passing a sign ordinance that would limit the height, size and placement of signs. The ordinance would have no effect on existing signs, but if one that violated the ordinance was destroyed, the owner would not be allowed to put up a similar one. No string lights or flashing or rotating signs are allowed.
Back: Available days in August 2003