Day in history for August 25, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Contracts have been closed by Mr. Farnam for construction of the Davenport to Iowa City division of the Mississippi And Missouri Railroad. Scott County will be asked to take $50,000 more in stock, since the people at Iowa City have been unable to raise their full quota.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- George W. Luken has opened his campaign for sheriff on the Democratic ticket.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Bloomington's baseball team defeated the Rock Island club 9 to 2.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Several thousand employees of the Rock Island Lines assembled in the Tri-Cities to take part, either as contestants or spectators, in the fifth annual athletic tournament of the railroad company.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Thousands of Catholic men, women and children in the Davenport diocese will gather at Rodeo Field, Fort Madison, Sunday, for Holy Hour in a public demonstration of their faith in the real presence of Christ in the Blessed Sacrament and to pray for world peace and the conversion of Russia.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- A Moline woman remained in satisfactory condition at Moline Public Hospital after an accident was caused by her sandal catching on the floor mat in her car. Deborah Bartag, 19, of 2408 31st St., Moline, was taken by ambulance to the hospital after her car went out of control and struck a mailbox and brick planter in the 3300 block of 39th St., Moline.
Back: Available days in August 2003