Day in history for August 14, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- B.G. Briggs has located his Premium bakery in Rock Island. He runs a team to accommodate his customers and sells his goods at the David Bowen and John Moore grocery stores.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- According to the new directory, just published, the population of Rock Island is 11,828 and that of Moline 7,390.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- The Rev. J.A. Bingaman, pastor of McKinley Baptist Church, preached his farewell sermon today. He leaves to take chare of Zion Baptist Church, Omaha.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Republicans of Rock Island and Mercer Counties endorsed Cyrus E. Dietz of Moline for nomination to the Illinois Supreme Court.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Burglars who tore a hole in a wall at an auto service station at 907 9th St., Rock Island, obtained about $2 in pennies, Rock Island police were informed Thursday. Operators of the station, James and Jack Skyles, reported about $15 damage was done to the wall. The entry reportedly occurred Wednesday night or early Thursday.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- It seems that some people will steal just about anything, including a city street. The street in question, long-abandoned 22nd Street between 12th and 16th Avenues in Rock Island, is made of old-fashioned bricks, or at least it used to be. People have been digging up bricks from the blocked-off street and taking them home for sidewalks, decorations and other uses.
Back: Available days in August 2003