Day in history for July 9, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- On Sunday, 120 Germans (men, women and children) landed at Davenport.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- A hundred tramps a day, on the average, pass through these cities. A freight car full of tramps got into some barrels of whiskey in the car last night, so that this morning Rock Island police had more trouble than usual escorting the day's arrivals into Iowa.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- A law just enacted by the Illinois legislature forbids discrimination in the renting of hearses and carriages for funerals.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Mrs. Claire Golden of Cordova was reelected chairman of the Rock Island County Home Bureau.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Armed with a cap pistol, an Atkinson farmer captured two suspected pig thieves in Moline after a wild motor chase over Henry and Rock Island county roads. Held in Moline city jail, charged with stealing a truckload of pigs are: Edgar Brooks, 17, and Alvin McIntire, 16, Geneseo. A third suspect, Jack McIntire, 21, also of Geneseo, was taken into custody by Henry County sheriff's deputies in Geneseo.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Tampico's police radar may have been an effective weapon against speeders, but it wasn't much good against thieves. According to Tampico Police Chief Bob Appleman, a radar speed detection unit was stolen from Tampico's sole squad car, while the vehicle was in a local garage for routine maintenance.
Back: Available days in July 2003