Day in history for July 6, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- We need a good four-horse omnibus between here and Moline. The carriage now used is a good one but it is so overflowing with passengers all the time that the driver has to ride on the dashboard.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- On the Fourth the steamer McDonald made two trips taking Rock Island and Davenport people to the Grand Temperance Jubilee at Buffalo, Iowa.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Hamlin H. Hull was re-elected to the Rock Island school board although there was a quiet, last-minute campaign in behalf of a write-in candidate, A. DeSoland. The vote was 424 to 263.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Location of a barge terminal, sought by each of the Tri-Cities, will be determined at a conference in Washington July 11.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Work is expected to be started soon on a $400,000 addition to the Milan plant of the Davenport Packing Co. The addition will increase the capacity of the Milan plant about four times and, when in full operation, will provide work for a total force of from 150 to 175 employees.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island County Sheriff Jim Shaw has issued orders to deputies aimed at reducing the amount of gasoline purchased at private, and more expensive, service stations. Despite promises and a money shortage earlier this year, the sheriff's department bought less 55-cent-a-gallon gas from Rock Island and more from private dealers.
Back: Available days in July 2003