Day in history for July 25, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The Mississippi is at a good boating stage of water for the larger steamers from this point to St. Louis. Passengers going east had better come here and take the stagecoaches to Peru and there board the cars. It is the quickest and easiest way to Chicago.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Officers and directors of the Moline And Rock Island Horse Railway Co. were reelected at the annual session of stockholders today.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Rumors are rife in railroad circles that the Rockefellers interests plan to get control of the Erie railroad and merge it with the Rock Island road.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island Legion drum and bugle corps will make a booster trip to nearby towns to promote the convention to which it will host.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- A 28-year-old Davenport housewife and mother was awarded a bus trip to Denver and a wrist watch after winning out over nine other contestants in a Mississippi River swimming contest sponsored by Tri-State Theater Corp. Mrs. Renee Millhollin completed the distance from Rock Island Arsenal to just below Davenport Municipal Stadium in 19 minutes.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Eroding slopes at Valley Homes have plagued the Rock Island housing project for years. The Rock Island City Housing Authority learned that the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development will pay up to $200,000 to stop the project's shifting soil.
Back: Available days in July 2003