Day in history for July 17, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Capt. Tom Buford, steamboat owner, and James Buford, who has been in business in Davenport, have taken up residence in Rock Island and have gone into various business enterprises with Col. N.B. Buford, who is erecting a fine new business block on Illinois Street. (A 4-story building at the present site of the Cleaveland building).
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Fighting is a dangerous practice. Another Rock Island man this week had his nose bitten off during a fist fight. A week ago a tramp lost all of his nose in a fight with another tramp in the jungles just outside the city limits.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- While three young couples were cruising in a gasoline launch between Rock Island and Davenport, the boat overturned and Elsa Morey and Clara Luethjen, both of Davenport, drowned last evening.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- More than fifty executives of International Harvester Co. held their semi-annual conference at the new Farmall Works in Rock Island.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- The Davenport Plan Commission is scheduled to take action on recommending a site for a combined municipal art gallery and public museum. A site in VanderVeer Park is expected to be the commission's choice.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- A crowd of 25,000 is expected Sunday for a noon-to-dusk rock concert on Credit Island, Davenport, featuring the Doobie Brothers, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Journey and VanHalen.
Back: Available days in July 2003