Day in history for July 16, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- If people do not stop picking flowers and injuring shrubs in the town cemetery, The Argus promises to print the names of the offenders.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- A reader, in a letter to the editor of The Argus, complained that amateur bands too frequently visit Reynolds and continue their summer concerts until midnight, preventing sleep by peaceful citizens.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- New officers of the Rock Island board of education are F.C. Denkmann, president, S.S. Kemble, secretary, and Carl Helpenstell, treasurer.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Lt. Bob Minick, who will head Rock Island's new school of aviation, flew a training ship to the city from St. Louis today.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- The hitch-hiking ducks at Davenport's Fejervary Park still are ``riding'' the three carp, Wynken, Blynken and Nod, who swish around in the moat surrounding Prince Drake castle at the children's zoo. Latest tactic of the ducks is to launch pecking attacks on the tails of their finny steeds.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Army officials have decided to hang onto thousands of vintage M-1 rifles and carbines left over from past wars and store some 116,000 of them at Rock Island Arsenal. The World War II and Korean War weapons, with an estimated resale value of $11.6 million, were moved here during the past year. They had been slated for ``demilitarization'' (melting down).
Back: Available days in July 2003