Day in history for June 9, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The public's old friend, Mr. Butcher, is about to start an ice wagon for the purpose of supplying families at their doors with ice morning and evening. We doubt not he will be liberally patronized.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- ``Children's Sunday'' was observed at the Fifth Avenue Methodist Church today. There were many floral decorations and singing birds.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Mr. and Mrs. W.G. Donaldson entertained friends last night in honor of Mr. and Mrs. William Gentle of Belize, British Honduras, Central America, who are here on a visit.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Will Rogers, noted humorist and motion picture actor, landed at the Moline Airport this morning, a passenger in the air mail plane. Rogers was on his way to the Republican Convention in Kansas City as a political writer.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Tomorrow is June Haver's birthday anniversary. Louella Parsons, noted Hollywood columnist, said the former actress' mother has obtained permission to be with June at the convent in Xavier, Kan., for the day.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- For the last dozen years, the seven children of Maria Luebbers have trudged through good weather and bad to bring The Daily Dispatch to families on the hill between Moline's 11th and 14th streets. But now the dynasty is fading. Twelve-year-old Mark, the youngest, underwent surgery earlier this year and has been unable to continue the route.
Back: Available days in June 2003