Day in history for June 6, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Thomas F. Davenport, Henry County clerk, was asking sealed bids for the erection of a 27 by 40-foot, 2-story jail for the county.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The Josephine came up today, having made the run from Burlington to Rock Island in nine hours and 20 minutes, making all the stoppages, and beating Minnesota two hours and a half. Both boats left the Burlington landing together.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Linemen in the employ of the Union Electric Co. went out on strike today, the company refusing to sign a suggested scale.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Robert F. Burgitt, Spencer, Iowa, former University of Iowa star and captain, was named basketball coach of Rock Island High School, succeeding R.L. Akey who recently resigned to accept a position at Rock Falls.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Rodney Dee Brodie, 21-months-old, appeared on a special March of Medicine television program showing details of the fantastic separation by surgery of the East Moline Brodie Siamese twins. He is the only child in medical history who has survived such an operation. His brother, Roger Lee, died 34 days after the operation.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- East Moline Fire Station No. 2 is sinking and nobody is quite sure what to do about it. The station's settling floor has caused a plethora of other structural defects. And the $140,000 station at 1523 Morton Drive is only four years old.
Back: Available days in June 2003