Day in history for June 5, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Mrs. Emily Gertrude Macauliff, St. Louis, plans to make either Rock Island or Davenport her residence for the summer. Next autumn she intends to publish a volume of her poetry, entitled ``Gleanings of Memory.''
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Some 250 excursionists from Aledo visited Rock Island today. They ate lunch in courthouse park. The affair was sponsored by Allen's Business College of Aledo.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Class day exercises of the Rock Island graduating class were held in the assembly room last evening. Frank Bruner read the class prophecy. Roy Sears made an address, presenting the class present to the school, a copy of Bologna's statue of ``Flying Mercury.'' A one-act farce, ``The Fatal Message,'' concluded the program.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Mrs. Sarah Ann Walker, 1556 40th St., Rock Island, received a letter of congratulations from President Coolidge on her 102nd birthday anniversary.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- A public meeting has been called for 7:30 p.m. Monday in Wells grade school, south of East Moline, to discuss the possibility of annexing the Wells district to the East Moline Grade School District.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Mrs. Paul Swanson, owner of an accident-prone house at 435 8th St., Moline, is worried sick that someone is going to be killed on her property. In the past eight months, three cars traveling on 5th Avenue have left the road and crashed into her duplex.
Back: Available days in June 2003