Day in history for June 4, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Citizens of Rock Island County will meet in the courthouse tonight to make plans for celebrating July 4.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- A lean, long-bewhiskered individual pushing a wheelbarrow put his appearance at the post office at 1 o'clock this afternoon and drew quite a large crowd as he pursued his way through the city.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- The hop and reception given by the junior class of Rock Island High School at Black Hawk Inn last evening in the honor of the senior class was attended by about 100 couples. The committee in charge consisted of James Maucker, chairman, Guy Munger, Cora VanGalder, Ruth Buffum and Faith Channon.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Ethel Greenblatt, a student at Lincoln Grade School, Rock Island, won the city jacks championship.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- A youth parade, the crowning of Miss Jean Siefken as Miss East Moline and the first performance of the historical pageant, ``East Moline Through the Years,'' got the city's 4-day Golden Jubilee celebration off to a rousing start.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Steve McNulty of Alexis has come a long way since he built a free-form design sloop boat in seventh grade. His latest project is a 200-pound, 7-and-a-half-foot-tall grandfather clock. The clock is solid cherrywood Colonial design with wooden gears. The 25-year-old McNulty has spent more than one thousand hours developing his unique clock.
Back: Available days in June 2003