Day in history for June 26, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Under new arrangements for daily mail, the Frink stagecoaches will carry mail to and from Peru, the present terminus of the Chicago And Rock Island Railroad. Mail is being received six to eighteen hours earlier than formerly.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The Central Presbyterian ladies were hostesses at a strawberry and ice cream lawn party last night on the lawn of the John Warner home on Moline (5th) Avenue.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- The Long View Gun Club was organized at the Robert Harper farm on Aiken Street (21st Avenue). The shooting range will be on that farm.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Production at Farmall Works has increased to 125 tractors daily.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- An East Moline rifle and hunting enthusiast recently was issued a patent for a device which gives promise of becoming standard equipment on all telescopic gun sights. He is Clarence A. Blais, a tool inspector for the Swan Engineering Co. of Bettendorf. His invention is a simple device which serves to keep the lenses on the telescope closed when the marksman is not using it for aiming.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- A Moline landmark was auctioned off Saturday to a man Upper Rock Island Chamber of Commerce President Arthur Holmes said ``would really do something for the area.'' The Reliance Building, 1518 5th Ave., went for $195,000 to Alex B. Stone, a Rock Island veterinarian.
Back: Available days in June 2003