Day in history for June 18, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The Messrs. Lowry have leased the LeClaire House in Davenport. The hotel has long been a place of resort for southern families who come north to escape the heat and enjoy our scenery. (Note: The former LeClaire House is now, in 1953, the block of stores between Parker's and the Kahl building.)
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- While he was out hunting today, Thomas E. Mills of Rodman's addition, Rock Island, was wounded by the accidental discharge of his gun near the Milan bridge.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island Lines expects to occupy the new railroad shops in Pleasant Valley (Silvis) by next Jan. 1.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Port Byron is raising funds for its centennial festival to be held in August.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- East Moline aldermen adopted an ordinance requiring council approval of loud speakers or sound trucks for advertising purposes. The ordinance was proposed by Alderman Edward Reig, who received numerous complaints against unrestricted use of amplifying systems.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- A school board task force says Rock Island High School faces ``critical'' curriculum and administrative problems and a ``slowly deteriorating'' campus. The four-member panel issued the findings after evaluating more than 200 recommendations made last year by the North Central Association, a school accrediting group. NCA conducts on-site studies of member schools every seven years.
Back: Available days in June 2003