Day in history for June 17, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- A new company of Rock Island capitalists has rented the west half of the wharf boat, in which to pack fish for the fall market.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Moline City Council appropriated $36,500 to run the city for the new fiscal year. The council fixed 12.5 cents per hour as the rate of pay for laborers on streets.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Fire heavily damaged the carpenter shops of Davis And Co. on 19th Street, near 1st Avenue, Rock Island.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Teachers protested a ruling by the Rock Island Board of Education abolishing 10 days of annual sick leave.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- A general-alarm fire swept a section of the Salter Processing Division plant of Teske Milling Co., 1848 W. Locust St., resulting in injuries to two Davenport firemen and damage estimated at several thousand dollars. The fire reportedly originated in a rotary feed dryer of the grain-processing plant and spread to upper parts of the two-story brick building.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Scores of area residents know the sons of Mr. and Mrs. Forrest Anderson, 3435 52nd St. Court, Moline, because of their years of involvement with Moline Boys Choir and Quad-City Music Guild. And the congregation of First Covenant Church knows the young men as energetic workers for the church. Jeff, 23, is a child-care counselor at Bethany Home, Moline. Scott, 21, will be a senior at Augustana next year.
Back: Available days in June 2003