Day in history for June 15, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The Argus said: Rock Island never will grow as fast as Davenport, because too many Rock Island land owners won't sell until somebody covers their land with gold, and that will never be.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island Arsenal appropriation seems safe. After much debate, congress is ready to allow the arsenal $295,200 for the new fiscal year.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Clark Swanson was elected president of Augustana Business College alumni.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Diplomas were awarded to 209 seniors at the Rock Island High School commencement program.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- A free concert of hit songs and orchestra numbers from several popular musical comedies will open the Quad-City Music Guild's 1953 summer season at 8 Sunday evening in Prospect Park auditorium, Moline, Frederick J. Swanson, music director, announced today. When the guild held the first such free concert in mid-season last year, an overflow audience of 1,250 attended.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- A ``new spirit'' of neighborliness is taking hold to save Rock Island's West End. The spirit is that of the Community Caring Conference, a group dedicated to bringing neighbors back in touch. Rev. Kenneth Kuenning's congregation at the Church of Peace, 1110 12th St., started the organization in August 1976, deciding to stay in the ``changing neighborhood'' after exploring the possibility of moving out.
Back: Available days in June 2003