Day in history for June 12, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- P.M. Housel, Davenport, has taken a new store in LeClaire row and received a fine stock of new goods.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The graduating exercises of Rock Island High School were held at the Central Presbyterian Church. Graduates participating in the program were: Ella G. Kyte, Laura T. Ehleb, Lou J. Conway, Lucy Murphy, Dollie E. Kale, L. Minnie Magill, Norah C. Olson, Archy A. Stevenson, Paul Hamilton, Hattie A. Jenkins, Clara Whitman, Minnie Repine, Minnie J. Hull, Lizzie A. Weyerhaeuser and Nate Gest. Diplomas were awarded by J.F. Everett.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Mrs. Lawson W. Fuller won the fortnightly handicap golf match at the Arsenal Golf Club by a net score of 105.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- A resolution to widen 24th Street for two blocks with wheel tax money lost 10 to 4 in Rock Island City Council voting.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Work on the nearly completed educational building of the First Congregational Church, Moline, was halted this morning as pickets appeared outside the church.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Wayne Smith, Clark Miner, Barney Hurley and Wayne Taube struggled with the rickety old township jail at Coal Valley when they moved it from a horse pasture to Smith's property, where restoration work will be done. The jail, which is believed to have been built around 1856, will be moved to the Municipal Park once it has been restored.
Back: Available days in June 2003