Day in history for May 8, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- J.J. Bearsley, Esq., was appointed prosecutor for the opening term of circuit court in the absence of Mr. Miller. N. Belcher, Esq., Port Byron, was appointed foreman of the grand jury. There are 71 cases at common law; 31, chancery; and 34 peoples'.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Rock Islanders were looking forward to Van Ambergh's circus, an event of May 16.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- John Kinney, Hardy Hetter and Dick Kell were appointed patrolmen by Rock Island Mayor McConochie.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Charles J. Larkin was elected to his 21st term as president of the Rock Island Public Library Board.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Arrested yesterday afternoon following a chase in the Davenport business district, William A. Wheeler, 34, Cresco, Iowa, was fined $25 and costs in police court today on a larceny charge. Police testified Wheeler stole 14 pairs of socks from Woolworth's store.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- The Augustana College board of directors voted to construct two apartment-type dormitory buildings on the campus at a total cost of $246,000. Together they will accommodate approximately 48 students. The buildings will be located on college-owned property at the corner of 9 1/2 Avenue and Bergendoff Court. The site is directly west of the former college president's home. Construction is scheduled to begin May 15 and completion is anticipated by Sept. 30.
Back: Available days in May 2003