Day in history for May 5, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- We are informed that some persons who visit the grave yards are accustomed to pluck twigs and buds from the shrubbery and rose bushes around the graves. We hope we shall not be obliged to publish the names of those who thus treat the graves of the dead.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- It being Sunday, Rev. T.H. Hench officiated morning and evening at the Broadway Presbyterian Church.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Mrs. John P. Looney died at the family residence, 1635 20th St., Rock Island, last night. She was born in Ireland and was 40 years old. She was married in 1892 to John P. Looney and came to Rock Island with her husband in 1899.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Charles E. Johnson, sales manager for the local division of the Rock Island Plow Co., resigned. He was replaced by W.T. O'Hare.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- The location of Davenport's proposed new television station still was in doubt after strong opposition developed at a city zoning commission hearing. Property owners appeared in force at the hearing on Zenith Corporation's application to build a station on the west side of Lincoln Ave. between 10th and 11th St.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- East Moline residents who live on corner lots where hedges and other foliage stand tall had better prime their hedge clippers. Aldermen voted 7-5 to draw up an ordinance limiting the height of hedges and other obstacles near street corners to three feet.
Back: Available days in May 2003