Day in history for May 28, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Robert W. Smith was elected city clerk by the Rock Island city council to succeed A.G. Brackett, who resigned.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- A social gathering of the Rock Island County Bar was held last evening in the home of C.M. Osborn, nearly every attorney in the county being present. The event was in honor of Judge Glenn, who is presiding at the present session of the circuit court.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- John P. Sexton, chairman of the Rock Island County Democratic Central Committee, stated in a proclamation that a meeting of the committee held last night, was not representative and of no force. At the meeting, a motion by John P. Looney that the committee go into executive session and exclude press representatives was carried.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Emily Anthony, deputy probate clerk, was elected junior vice commander of the Disabled American Veterans of the World War of Illinois.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Groundbreaking service for the new $500,000 library building at Augustana Theological Seminary took place yesterday as part of the 93rd annual convocation and commencement.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- The Quad-Cities will host a first-of-its-kind seminar on how businesses can deal with threats posed by terrorists to corporate executives and property. The ``Terrorism Today'' seminar will be held in the Sheraton-Rock Island, June 5 and 6.
Back: Available days in May 2003