Day in history for May 26, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Late rains and cold weather prevented corn planting as early as farmers wished. Prospects are good for a heavy wheat crop, both spring and winter.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- A holiness convention was in session at the Ninth Street Methodist Church. The Rev. L.B. Kent was in charge.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Members of Siboney Bay Camp Spanish-American War veterans were heading a movement to bring the 1904 state encampment to Rock Island.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Members of the Rock Island city council last night voted to increase water rents 25 percent and cut $20,000 from the light fund to make possible the maintenance of the municipal government in 1928-29.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Cornelius Bodine, Jr., 36, currently city manager at Paducah, Ky., has been selected as Rock Island's first city manager, Mayor Carl F. Bauer announced. The new city manager will assume his duties on June 1. Bodine will receive an annual salary of $9,500.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Stanley ``Stash'' Kohl is out to beat the odds. His dream was to start his own store where he could make and sell sausage. Kohl says his seven-month-old store, Stashu and Sons, 5026 4th Ave., Moline, is struggling to keep afloat, but it will not drown. ``We're paying our bills,'' the East Moline sausage maker said. And Kohl believes he has what it takes to successfully sell what he believes is the best sausage around.
Back: Available days in May 2003