Day in history for May 25, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Announcement was made that the Rt. Rev. Bishop Vandevelde will officiate at St. James Catholic Church, Rock Island, on June 15. The bishop has just returned from a tour of the south, greatly improved in health and spirit.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Willie Florence of the Harper House was out in his new boat last evening. He says he will not have to look over his shoulder to see any of the boys in a race.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Mrs. Norris, Mrs. Cleland and Mrs. Wright of the patriotic instruction committee of the Woman's Relief Corps presented the high school this morning with a framed copy of the Declaration of Independence.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Purchase of approximately 21 acres of land on the Rock Island-Moline border for $15,000 from members of the Joshua Brooks family by the board of directors of Bethany Home as a site for a future home was announced today.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Between 300 and 400 bankers from many cities in Illinois and other states of the Midwest are in this city today to visit the Rock Island Bank and Trust Company on the occasion of the formal opening of the bank's modernized headquarters.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- A ``watered down'' version of the proclamation declaring this Equal Rights for Women Week was approved by the Rock Island County Board. The county board approved version was written by board member Ruth Klouda, D-Moline.
Back: Available days in May 2003