Day in history for May 23, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The press everywhere condemns in most decided terms the cowardly attempt of Hakes upon the life of the editor of this paper.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The annual review of the fire department took place today. Chief James Johnson, with a delegation from each company, headed by Biehl's band, marched to the ferry landing and welcomed a Davenport delegation.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Eight high school girls, Elsa Simon, Mae Lidders, Myrtle Barber, Adelia Schoessel, Nannie Miller, Irma Kohn, Isabel Osborn and Margo Kohn, had as their guests at Watch Tower Inn last evening Will Schroeder, Will Snyder, Arthur Huesing, Carsten Franck, Roy Sears, Tom Clark, John Mudge and Tom Mirfield. The evening was spent in dancing. The party was chaperoned by Mr. and Mrs. Jay Clarkson.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Miss Dorothy Dunn, Rock Island High School senior, will enact the leading role in the Fort Armstrong home talent review.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Here's a warning to Davenport housewives. The city's clothesline thief is at work again. Mrs. Lee Brown, 637 Kirkwood, reported to police that 12 articles of clothing were stolen from the clothesline in the yard of her home.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- The Rev. Edgar J.H. Otto, pastor of St. John's Lutheran Church, East Moline, will receive the Servus Ecclesiae Christi Award from Concordia Theological Seminary in its alumni honors convocation Friday at Ft. Wayne, Ind.
Back: Available days in May 2003