Day in history for May 19, 2003

1853 -- 150 years ago
The Steam Saw and Flouring Mill at Port Byron, owned by George W. and John Gates, was destroyed by fire. The loss, estimated at $6,000, included 2,500 bushels of wheat. The loss was not covered by insurance.

1878 -- 125 years ago
Mrs. S.M.I. Henry of the ladies' state temperance alliance was scheduled to address a meeting for young women in Rock Island Wednesday.

1903 -- 100 years ago
At the annual meeting of the Broadway Presbyterian Church last night, Phil Mitchell, S.S. Davis and Paul Hamilton were re-elected trustees for a period of three years. Dr. J.W. Stewart and Fred Titterington were re-elected elders and Mrs. Paul Hamilton was chosen deaconess.

1928 -- 75 years ago
The students and faculty of Augustana College staged an impromptu celebration on the campus when the $1,000,000 mark in the endowment campaign was passed.

1953 -- 50 years ago
Moline aldermen learned the origin of an old cannon which stood for many years in City Hall Park. The information was contained in a letter from officials of Col. Edward Kittilsen Camp, United Spanish War Veterans, stating the cannon is an old Spanish gun, taken as a prize by the 6th Illinois Infantry Regiment while the unit was in Puerto Rico.

1978 -- 25 years ago
East Moline residents will be on their own this summer in the fight against pesky mosquitoes. Aldermen have used the revenue-sharing funds to finance the city's war against mosquitoes. This year, however, there's just no money available.

Back: Available days in May 2003




Local events heading








  Today is Tuesday, Sept. 16, the 259th day of 2014. There are 106 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A fine lumber mill is on the course of erection at Andalusia. A flouring mill at that location is doing a fine business.
1889 — 125 years ago: J.B. Lidders, past captain of Beardsley Camp, Sons of Veterans, returned from Paterson, N.Y., where he attended the National Sons of Veterans encampments.
1914 — 100 years ago: President Wilson announced that he had received from the imperial chancellor of Germany a noncommittal reply to his inquiry into a report that the emperor was willing to discuss terms of peace.
1939 — 75 years ago: Delegates at the Illinois Conference of the Methodist Church in Springfield voted to raise the minimum pay of ministers so that every pastor would get at least $1,000 annually.
1964 — 50 years ago: An audience of more than 2,600 persons jammed into the Davenport RKO Orpheum theater with a shoe horn feasted on a Miller-Diller evening that was a killer night. Phyllis Diller sent the audience with her offbeat humor. And send them she did! It was Miss Diller's third appearance in the Quad-Cities area.
1989 — 25 years ago: A few years ago, a vacant lot on 7th Avenue and 14th Street in Rock Island was a community nuisance. Weeds grew as high 18 inches. Today, the lot has a new face, thanks to Michael and Sheila Rind and other neighbors who helped them turn it into a park three weeks ago.





(More History)