Day in history for May 15, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The discovery of lead near this city is likely to prove of much importance to this community. A quantity of the mineral, washed and ready for smelting, is now at Mr. Andrew's warehouse and will be shipped to Galena.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The Total Abstinence Society of St. Joseph's Church gave a ball at Hillier's Hall.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island businessmen, meeting at the Harms Hotel, protested against the contemplated location of the city dump boat on the 17th Street levee.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Guy O. Rodgers was scheduled to return as superintendent of the Rock Island Rescue Mission.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- More than a hundred early morning diners are expected to attend the annual Straw Hat breakfast Friday morning in the Temple Club. Edwin A. Law, chairman for the sponsoring retail bureau of the Rock Island Chamber of Commerce said straw hats are the ``order of the day,'' though not mandatory. The yearly occasion opens the summer shopping season in Rock Island.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Traci Anderson, a sixth grader in Betsy Ross School at Coal Valley, won the grand prize for her entry on drug abuse at the school's science fair. Her entry included a number of pipes used to smoke various materials and items common in the home that can be habit-forming. She also wrote a comprehensive report. She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Anderson.
Back: Available days in May 2003