Day in history for April 9, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The spring term of the Rock Island Collegiate Institute and Female Seminary will commence Monday, under supervision of E.C. Smith.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The Swedish vocal quartet provided entertainment at Dart's Hall. The selections were in a foreign tongue with two exceptions.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- William McConochie, Republican, was re-elected mayor of Rock Island, defeating W.C. Maucker, Democrat, George W. McCaskrin, Independent, and P.J. Carlson, Socialist. The winner's total vote was 1,717 and his plurality was 98. Maucker received 1,116 votes; McCaskrin, 1,619; and Carlson, 141.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- A record vote in Rock Island County's primary is forecast tomorrow.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Purchase of a swimming pool site, located roughly between 22nd and 24th avenues and 34th and 36th streets, at an expenditure of $7,500 was approved on an 8 to 4 vote by Rock Island aldermen. Mayor Melvin L. McKay, long a champion for a swimming pool in Rock Island, had been urging aldermen to settle on a site before the end of his second 4-year term May 1.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Robert Sheets, Geneseo fire chief, has issued an alert to all residents of the fire district that roads are in worse shape than during the height of winter. Sheets said it is impossible for his department trucks to travel in any direction from Geneseo with any certainty of reaching a fire scene.
Back: Available days in April 2003