Day in history for April 7, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Judge Robinson from Port Byron is now associated with Judge Spencer in the Ferry company under the firm name of John W. Spencer And Co.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The Rev. G.R. Palmer officiated at the morning and evening services in the Fifth Avenue Methodist Church.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Articles of incorporation were filed in Rock Island this morning for the Iowa, Illinois and Missouri Railway Co., a proposed line to run from Dubuque to St. Louis via the tri-cities. The incorporators were George T. Cram, St. Louis; Eugene Cary, Chicago; T.J. Medill, Rock Island; J.S. Wylie, George H. Boynton and A.F. Cutter, Davenport; Alphons Matthews, Dubuque; and S.S. Hallam, Monmouth.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island township members of the board of supervisors endorsed Oscar Ohlweiler for chairmanship of the board.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- At least four persons were rescued by firemen and several others fled to safety when a three-alarm fire wrecked the three-story Harrison Hotel, 608 Harrison St., Davenport, this morning. The interior of the building was gutted and damage was estimated at $50,000.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Niabi Zoo's last deer is dead, reportedly gunned down in its pen last weekend. County officials have kept the death a secret reportedly in an attempt to lull whoever killed the deer into believing no investigation is being conducted.
Back: Available days in April 2003