Day in history for April 6, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The new steamboat for the Ferry company between Rock Island and Davenport is nearly completed and probably will be running sometime next week.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Republicans are promoting the candidacy of William H. Guest of Rock Island for state senator.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- With the Rock Island city election near at hand, ``The Independent Voter,'' a handbill sheet, made its appearance.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Emmerson workers claimed the First Ward of Rock Island ``sewed up'' for the gubernatorial candidate and his ticket.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Emergency measures are being taken by the city sewer department to protect basements of homes in the Garden Addition in West Davenport from being flooded. Sewer department workers are engaged in pumping out the sewers to prevent water from backing up into the basement of homes. The city at present is engaged in preparation of engineering plans for a flood-control project for the addition.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Hank Hannah, Rock Island County conservation officer, received a unique award recently when he was presented the Ducks Unlimited Award for outstanding contribution to conservation and waterfowl. Hannah has been Rock Island County conservation officer for 26 years. He was an avid duck hunter before joining the department and knows the field from both sides, as an outdoorsperson and as an enforcement officer.
Back: Available days in April 2003