Day in history for April 27, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The Hon. H.M. Mead, judge of the 10th judicial district circuit, will preside at the coming session of the circuit court for this county commencing on Monday next. We perceive that by the press in his circuit, as elsewhere, he is spoken of as a prompt, learned and impartial judge.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The two lodges of the Odd Fellows in Rock Island celebrated the anniversary of the order's establishment. Henry Burgower was chairman and David Hawes and Oliver Olson were the speakers.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- A.D. Sperry was awarded a gold watch fob for winning the finals in a shooting contest with Phil Mitchell, James Darnell and B.D. Connelly at the Elm Street range.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Completion of the negotiations with the McCabe estate to build an addition to the Como Hotel, Rock Island, and remodel a portion of the present building as the location for a large cafeteria, was announced by Mr. and Mrs. Joseph W. Johnson, who will operate the new place of business.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Ira E. Albrecht of the Albrecht Insurance Agency, 307 Union Arcade, Davenport, has been appointed treasurer of the 1953 Scott County Cancer crusade.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Dave Hoover, East Moline, and Larry Thornburg, Moline, received Outstanding Member Awards for their contributions to the Student Representative Assembly at the Quad-Cities Campus of Black Hawk College.
Back: Available days in April 2003