PREP FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

Day in history for April 25, 2003

1853 -- 150 years ago
The $2,500 interest due on railroad bonds for Rock Island was paid in New York April 18.

1878 -- 125 years ago
The Josephine of the Diamond Jo Line, termed the ``handsomest boat on the upper Mississippi,'' arrived in Rock Island at 8 o'clock this morning and left later for Clinton.

1903 -- 100 years ago
The county supervisors today approved the project for a new bridge to span the Rock River from a point near Hillsdale, to Erie Township, Whiteside County. The sum of $10,500 was appropriated toward the share of the cost to be borne by this county.

1928 -- 75 years ago
Additional subscriptions in Rock Island raised the Community Chest total to date to $16,254.50.

1953 -- 50 years ago
Arnold Egger of Rock Island is an honest man. Saturday afternoon, while he was driving in Davenport, he ran over an object in the street. Upon investigating, he found it to be a billfold containing $92. He searched the wallet and found the owner's name, Mrs. Beatrice Almquist, Moline. Egger drove to her home and returned the billfold.

1978 -- 25 years ago
Deere And Co. president Ellwood F. Curtis was elected vice chairman by the company's directors and Robert A. Hanson was elected president. Two Deere executives, Joseph W. England, comptroller, and Eugene L. Schotanus, treasurer, were elected vice presidents by the board. William A. Hewitt remains chairman and chief executive officer.

Back: Available days in April 2003




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)