Day in history for April 13, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Salaries of governors of different states in the union range from $10,000 in California to $400 in Rhode Island per year. Illinois paid Joel A. Matteson $1,500 per year.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- B.L. Best, Reynolds, addressed a temperance meeting in South Rock Island last night. Quite a number of persons signed the pledge and donned the ribbon.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- ``Kid'' Bloch, local prize ring artist, figured in a mixup in Moline Saturday night and gave a bad beating to Officer Thomas Carney.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- A new primary voting record of 23,018 ballots was set for Rock Island County last Tuesday, an official canvass disclosed.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Boy Scout officials and civic leaders of six rural townships in south Rock Island County pledged $8,000 to finance construction of a year-round cabin as part of the $150,000 improvement program for the campsite of the Fort Armstrong area council. L.C. Jameson, executive secretary of the council, said an anonymous gift of $1,000 already has been promised as part of the $8,000 sum.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island County would become part of a new Central Federal Court District under a proposed remapping of federal court boundaries in the state. The county currently is part of the Southern District. The remapping, if approved, would be the first for Illinois since 1905.
Back: Available days in April 2003