Day in history for April 11, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- We are informed that by recent transfers of stocks, Messrs. Bailey and Boyle now own a controlling interest in the Rock Island and Camden Plank Road Co.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The bootblacks of Rock Island organized as the Star Minstrels gave an entertainment in Negus' Hall last night.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- It being Easter Sunday, elaborate musical programs were being held in all Rock Island churches.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- On the basis of unofficial returns, Mayor C.W. Sandstrom of Moline had beaten W.A. Rosenfield of Rock Island for state central committeeman by 432 votes.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Mrs. Viola Jennusa, Davenport, had a busy day all because of a prankster who was busy on the telephone. The prankster placed orders with a cleaner, bakery and ice-cream store, and had deliveries sent to Mrs. Jennusa's home. Also, the unidentified person engaged an orchestra and rented a hall for Mrs. Jennusa, and to top it all off, she finished the day by sending a representative of a diaper service to the home.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Metro East, a new supplement in The Daily Dispatch, will be delivered to about 12,000 upper Rock Island County subscribers beginning this week. Metro East will contain news and features of localized interest to readers in East Moline, Silvis, Hampton, Colona-Green Rock, Port Byron, Rapids City and surrounding areas.
Back: Available days in April 2003