Day in history for March 8, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The proceedings of the meeting to organize the Henry County Agricultural Society will be found in our paper. We are glad to see these organizations springing up in every county.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Ben Harper announced he would begin work on the construction of the new opera house next Monday morning.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island was in the running for the location of a car factory which Cleveland capitalists were promoting.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- The county board road committee favored macadam or crushed rock as the surface for Andalusia Road.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Awards of a contract for a thorough rehabilitation of Black Hawk Lodge and adjacent Hauberg Indian Museum at Black Hawk State Park, Rock Island, was announced today by the state division of architecture and engineering. Improvements include: A new service counter, additional display cases, and relaid flooring in the lodge concession space. The contract was awarded to C.H. Langman And Son, Rock Island, on a bid of $30,319.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Turn-Style stores in Moline and Davenport apparently will close when the discount chain is sold to a major Midwest department store firm this spring. A spokesman for Jewel Companies, Inc., announced pending sale of 19 of 22 Turn-Style outlets to Venture Stores, a discount subsidiary of May Department Stores Co., a St. Louis-based firm.
Back: Available days in March 2003