Day in history for March 7, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- There were 16 manufacturers by water and steam power in Moline the past year with a total valuation of $333,500.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Burglars last night opened the safe of H. Burgower, the lumberman. The cash box was taken but it contained nothing but some private correspondence.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- At the First Baptist Church, the Rev. H.W. Reed preached this morning on ``God's Work To Be Completed.'' The Rev. Thomas C. Lewis of Rock Island preached at this church in the evening.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- A lone bandit held up the cashier of the Peoples Trust And Savings Bank, Davenport, shortly before noon today and escaped with $500.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Construction of a frame shelter on the roof of Moline Senior High School for the city's skywatchers will be done under the direction of Moline Exchange Club. The club voluntarily took on the project when it was discovered that the plane spotters had no protection from wind, rain or snow. Plans are being made for heating the shelter.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Lutheran and Moline Public Hospitals are exploring the possibility of linking the institutions with an enclosed bridge, a spokesman for the two hospitals said today. The possible sharing of services is under study by the administrations and boards of the two hospitals to determine possible cost savings and improved efficiency.
Back: Available days in March 2003