Day in history for March 28, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The Rock Island city council ordered the city measurer to request from the city measurer of St. Louis a certified copy of the rules of measuring lumber, timber and shingles, as used in that city.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- It was announced that the Josie of the Diamond Jo Line with 13 carloads of freight for St. Louis, to be transferred at this point, will arrive in Rock Island tomorrow.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- ``Sallie of Our Alley,'' with Trixie Frogenza as the star, was the attraction last night at the Illinois Theater.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- The women's debate team of Augustana College won the championship of the Illinois intercollegiate co-ed debate league.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- An aerial map of Rock Island at a cost of $1,200 was approved by the city council. The successful bidder is Woltz Studios, Des Moines. Aldermen were told aerial photos now are recognized as the modern system for city planning, zoning and engineering layouts. The cost will be met from the city's postwar planning fund.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- After more than 60 years in the sheep business, Lawrence Charlet of Lynn Center hit the jackpot. The birth of quintuplet lambs, under the watchful eye of their crossbred mother, is a one-in-a-million chance, experts say. Charlet says raising them all would be his ``crowning glory'' as a sheepman.
Back: Available days in March 2003