Day in history for March 25, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- We are indebted to the Steamers Luella, Minnesota and Shenandoah for St. Louis papers. An advertisement of the Minnesota will be found in our paper of this week. She will leave this place for St. Louis on Friday morning next, and hereafter during the season on Sunday morning of each week.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Joseph Murphy and his company appeared in Dart's Hall last night in ``Kerry Gow.''
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- The Democratic city township committee last night named to its executive committee the following: E.W. Hurst, J.J. LaVelle, Dr. J.P. Comegys, T.J. Medill, Charles McHugh, E.C. Berry and L.D. Mudge.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Donations to the Greater Augustana College Fund passed the half million mark with a gift of $20,000 from Edward P. Denkmann.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Davenport firemen marked up 30 alarms over the weekend as a sure sign of spring. Twenty-three of the calls were for grass fires that had gotten out of control caused, for the most part, by sparks from burning rubbish as householders began cleaning up their yards for the season.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Each of the 12,665 votes cast in Tuesday's election probably cost Rock Island County taxpayers slightly more than $5. When the expenditures of the candidates are added to the public cost, the cost per vote will near $10, probably the most expensive election ever conducted here.
Back: Available days in March 2003