Day in history for March 19, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Sheriff Swander has rented the house recently occupied by J.H. Hatch in this city and soon will become a resident of Rock Island.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Frank Arbor of London, England, was registered at the Harper House.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- The McConochie forces won at the Republican primaries yesterday, defeating the Knox men. Aldermanic candidates chosen were Frank Westbay, Louis Eckhart, William Hause, Robert C. Benson, Frank E. Robbins, Fred G. Gall and Joshua R. Brooks.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Gov. Len Small and his running mates will present claims to the voters at a rally in Rock Island Masonic Temple tonight.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Erection of a 52-foot weather tower on top of the Rock Island Bank And Trust Co. building in Rock Island is well under way with two of the five sections already in place. If the work proceeds on schedule, the ``weatherstick'' will be placed in operation late tomorrow afternoon, according to Ray W. Osterman, president of the bank.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- A score or more of Silvis school youngsters were on the march again today, protesting the cut in the music program that was approved by the school board last week. Carrying signs printed with various versions of ``save our music,'' the pupils gathered at George O. Barr School and organized for their march to downtown Silvis.
Back: Available days in March 2003