Day in history for March 15, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- We learn that a bill passed the legislature to set off a new county, from the counties of Will and Iroquois. Kankakee is the name given to the proposed county.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The Black Hawk Post Office at South Rock Island was discontinued.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island Municipal Association held its second annual reunion at the Hotel Harms. Officers chosen were W.H. Edwards, president; Gustave Stengel, vice president; H.C. Schaffer, secretary-treasurer.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- James W. Armstrong of Rock Island was elected president of the board of trustees of the University of Illinois.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- A survey of costs on widening of 5th Ave. between 15th and 20th St., Rock Island, with the primary purpose of alleviating parking conditions adjacent to the downtown area was ordered by Rock Island aldermen. The project was introduced by Alderman E.W. Robinson, Jr., of the 3rd Ward, chairman of the council's street and alley committee.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- An all-time high of 93,041 Rock Island County residents are registered to vote, according to County Clerk William Foley. But neither Foley nor other politicians believe a lot of them are going to go to the polls Tuesday for the primary election. Foley guessed 11,000 to 12,000 Democrats would turn out, and about 3,000 Republicans.
Back: Available days in March 2003