Day in history for March 13, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The New St. Paul and the Regulator arrived at our levee early on the morning of Friday last. We are indebted to the gentlemanly officers of the New St. Paul for the late St. Louis papers.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Members of the Rock Island Athletic Club were very busy today removing from their old quarters in the Harper block to a room in the post office block. One billiard table will be set up and the club men will meet there and be as social as usual.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Steamboat men were anticipating an unusually fine season on the upper Mississippi River.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- William J. Stratton, candidate for secretary of state, was announced as an additional speaker for the Emmerson rallies on Thursday.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Larry Shaw, 7-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Shaw, Little York, has reached the conclusion that there is no such thing as a safe game. Larry fell backwards Wednesday at school while playing hide and seek. He suffered a broken right leg. Last fall, Larry fell from a horse, and this encounter with misfortune resulted in a broken arm.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Mrs. William A. Hewitt of Rock Island took the American Orchid Society trophy and Mrs. Marcia Whitmore of Coal Valley the Illowa Orchid Society trophy in the two-day show sponsored by the Illowa Orchid Society this weekend at SouthPark Mall.
Back: Available days in March 2003