Day in history for March 1, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Last week we had the pleasure of a visit from our worthy representative Mr. Marshall. He has done good service in the legislature and materially advanced the interest of his constituents in every matter confided to his care.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- During the month of February, Supervisor Aster expended $373.85 for relief of the poor.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Harry W. Sommers resigned as manager of the Harms Hotel. He had been manager since opening of the hotel.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Col. Charles A. Lindbergh received $25,000 and the Woodrow Wilson peace medal.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- LeRoy Henderson, 25, of Silvis, had a narrow escape from serious injury at 4:20 this morning when his automobile and a Rock Island Lines switch engine collided at the 19th St. crossing in Moline. Henderson told police that neither of the gates were down nor were there any warning signals flashing when he drove onto the crossing.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Moline City Administrator Duane Olivier says he can't remember a year when Moline streets took such a beating from the weather. And Horace Moore, long-time city health and sanitation official, predicts it may be August before all the gaping potholes and scuffed up streets can be repaired. Heavy snowfall and an unusually large number of freeze-and-thaw cycles have laid waste to some portions of nearly every street in town.
Back: Available days in March 2003