Day in history for February 27, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The party held at the city hall last Friday eve, by the ladies of the Second Presbyterian Church, was well attended and everything passed off in fine style. We hear that the proceeds were about $115.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Commodore W.F. Davidson of the Northern Line Packet Co., Capt. Shethar, superintendent of the Line, and Capts. Abe Hutchinson and A. Lamont were scheduled to confer soon with Rock Island businessmen in regard to river freight rates.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- The enlarged wing of St. Anthony's Hospital was completed.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- A city amateur boxing tournament will be held at the Rock Island Armory starting March 15 under auspices of the Gibberman Bros. Athletic Club.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- The Bituminous Casualty Corporation and the Bituminous Fire and Marine Insurance Company, Rock Island, announced the appointment of E.J. Barlow, 1301 2nd Ave., Rock Island, as manager, and Carl East as safety engineer of the companies' new branch office in New Orleans.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Late bus arrivals and a hectic bus schedule prompted the purchase of a 16-passenger van by the Carbon Cliff-Barstow board of education. The present van will continue to be used, in order to meet the demands of a heavy schedule. Six to eight parents attended the meeting to learn the board's solution to the late pickup of children and late class arrivals.
Back: Available days in February 2003