Day in history for February 25, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The result of the vote on Saturday last upon the proposition to obtain a piece of land of Judge Spencer equal in size to the public square for the purpose of leasing it to some person who would erect and keep a first-class hotel was 12 for the proposition and 169 against it.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- A party, termed the ``secret brotherhood,'' was alleged to have agreed upon aldermanic candidates as follows: 1st Ward, Fred Koch; 2d Ward, M.H. McCarthy; 3rd Ward, Joseph C. Cameron; 4th Ward, Andrew Anderson; 5th ward, Joseph Hillier.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Injuries received by Joseph Frew, switch tender in the Rock Island Lines yards, proved fatal.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Moline defeated Rock Island 46-23 and won the Tri-City conference basketball title.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- A new electrically powered water purifier unit, developed by the Army for field use, is being tested in Moline this week along the banks of the Mississippi River directly north of the municipal waterworks.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- The Augustana College choir fell victim this weekend to what may have been an onslaught of the Russian flu and was forced to cancel a concert for the first time in at least a decade. The choir was scheduled to sing at Emmanuel Lutheran Church in Rockford on Sunday, but more than a third of its 73 members were home in bed.
Back: Available days in February 2003