Day in history for February 21, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- The authorities of Chicago are killing dogs in that city. Served 'em right. We are doing the same thing here.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Charles Wolff opposite the post office was advertising for pigeons, offering to pay 10 cents apiece.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island naval reserve unit gave its fifth annual ball at the armory hall last evening. One hundred couples attended.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- The period for filing of primary petitions closed with only one contest for a Rock Island County office slated.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Representatives of the city council, park board and recreation commission voted 21 to 0 to locate Rock Island's $300,000 swimming pool in Lincoln Park, provided no other more centrally located site can be found. The action was taken when it was learned the park board strongly opposes location of the pool in Long View Park.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- For those who believe in fairy tales, Rock Island High School is switching some of its 1978 football games from Friday nights to Saturday afternoons because its stadium lights are inadequate. ``Lighting is secondary,'' according to Preston Walker, chief of security for the Rock Island School District. ``It's security. It's all the problems with the kids sneaking over the fence, getting in fights in the stadium and drinking.''
Back: Available days in February 2003