Day in history for February 19, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- At a meeting of the hotel committee, Dr. Gregg reported that Judge Spencer would make a present to Rock Island of a piece of ground equal to half the public square, or a piece equal to the size of the public square for $1,500.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- W.H. Gest, Rock Island city attorney, rendered an opinion that the city was legally obligated to keep its contract with A.F. Post in regard to his selling city bonds.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- ``Caste,'' Robertson's old comedy, was presented at the Illinois Theater last night.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island mayor Chester C. Thompson endorsed the proposed river terminal bond issue and said he was willing to set aside the new city hall program for the greater interest of the city.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- The citizens advisory committee to the board of education selected Browning Field and adjacent property as its second choice for the proposed new Moline High School. One physical advantage cited by the committee is the existence of Wharton Field House.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Dr. and Mrs. N.J. Katrana have donated an antique bell from the Plymouth Congregational Church, the first church building in East Moline, to Lutheran Hospital. The church cornerstone was laid June 20, 1906. The bell, which weighs over a ton, is incorporated into the hospital's new sign. Dr. and Mrs. Katrana have purchased the land where this church stood.
Back: Available days in February 2003