Day in history for February 11, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- We learn that John Deere now is turning out 100 plows per week on a new and improved pattern.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- The ladies of Fifth Avenue Methodist Church announced a waffle social to be held at the home of Mrs. T.J. Robinson tomorrow evening.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- At a membership meeting of the Rock Island Club last night, the president, F.H. Head, made an address on securing new industries for this community.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- The total attendance at the Rock Island auto show is expected to approximate 20,000.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Actress June Haver, who turned her back on movieland's tinseled brilliance today to become a nun, probably will enter a convent somewhere in Kansas. Mrs. Oscar Elmergreen, Miss Haver's great-aunt, who resides at 1926 Marquette St., Davenport, said today that the former Rock Island singer and dancer has disposed of all of her property and personal belongings and is ready to enter the religious order.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- A new Quad-Cities area map has been published by Quad-City Development Group. This is the first edition that has been printed on both sides, said President Dick Weeks. The back side includes a listing of points of interest, an area map of Scott and Rock Island counties with industrial parks shown, and a detailed map of Rock Island Arsenal.
Back: Available days in February 2003