Day in history for February 1, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Johns will please accept our thanks for a beautiful copy of the Vermont Autograph and Remarker.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Ben Harper has announced that work on the new opera house will be started as soon as the weather permits.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- The report was denied that the liquor dealers association would assume the cost of defending indicted saloon keepers.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Dr. C.E. Robb, Rock Island, president, and all other officers of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association were re-elected.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Officials today counted $325,000 in losses from yesterday's raging fire which destroyed the Elks Club building in Monmouth. Faulty wiring was blamed for the blaze. It was the third major fire in Monmouth in five months. Others were the $2,500,000 blaze, which destroyed the Gamble warehouse Sept. 6, and the $50,000 fire at the Wells grain elevator Dec. 8.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Union meatcutters at 34 Eagle supermarkets in Iowa and Illinois went on strike yesterday, demanding a 39.2 percent hike in wages and benefits. Eagle officials say they have offered about a 24 percent hike in wages and benefits. Union officials declined comment on ther specific wage and benefit demands, saying only that they want the same percentage increase granted their Chicago counterparts.
Back: Available days in February 2003