Day in history for January 9, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- Rock Island should have a large first class hotel. Our city has suffered more and has been retarded more in its growth for want of a commodius modern hotel than anything else.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Daniel Hoesli was named foreman of the Wide Awake Hook And Ladder Company, No. 2.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- W.J. Kahlke was elected financial secretary and Dr. F.H. First treasurer of the First Baptist Church.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island High School basketball players defeated Cambridge High 23 to 22.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- The Bettendorf city council took action to double its land area. Aldermen passed a resolution to present an annexation measure to the voters which would extend the Bettendorf city limits northward to a line running parallel with the northern city limits of Davenport and eastward to the Devil's Glen Road.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Shoppers at Moline's City Line Plaza got a taste of what New Yorkers fear most, the blackout. But the 3:25 p.m. power failure which plunged the stores into blackness and silenced background music didn't halt the shoppers desires to buy. Scores of customers in Jewel Food Store stood momentarily still as the aisles went dark, then went right on with their shopping. When the lights came back a few minutes later, shoppers spotted a new hazard, the checkout lanes.
Back: Available days in January 2003