Day in history for January 8, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- A.F. Curtis was appointed deputy sheriff of Rock Island County, replacing C.B. Knox, who resigned.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- W.W. Goodman was named foreman of the Fourth Ward Hose Company.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- The ``Counterfeiters'' was the attraction at the Illinois Theater last night.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Justice Floyd E. Thompson was introduced at the Jackson dinner as the ``next governor'' of Illinois.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- The citizens advisory committee to the Moline Board of Education came to grips with the selection of a site for the proposed new high school, but delayed identification pending investigation of cost and other related factors. Six sites are under consideration, according to information disclosed at the meeting.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Circuit Judge L.E. Ellison gave attorneys 10 days to file written briefs after listening to final testimony in a court fight over the pastorship of East Moline's Prayer and Faith Mission Church. Judge Ellison promised an early ruling on an injunction issue that will decide whether Rev. Wade Branch or Rev. Verne Teague has a legal right to be spiritual leader of the small 30-member church congregation. Teague seeks a court order that would permanently restrain Rev. Branch from interfering with activities of the church located at 730 13th St., East Moline.
Back: Available days in January 2003