Day in history for January 5, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- S.S. Guyer was appointed overseer of the poor by Sheriff Swander.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- It was announced that 2,000 persons in Davenport have taken the temperance pledge.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- Jacob M. Siegel, Rock Island, and Miss Lena Waxenburg of Omaha, Neb., were married.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- The county WCTU will launch a membership drive coincident with the celebration of the eighth anniversary of national prohibition.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Davenport painting contractors were issued a warning by Ralph C. Graham, city superintendent of construction, to refrain from painting over house numbers, a practice which has resulted in complaints from both police and fire officials. Some delay has been experienced in responding to emergency calls because house numbers have been covered.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- The observations of some high school students here may shape a television series. Dan Wakefield, one of the creators of the weekly show ``James at 15'' sat in on classes and basically ``hung out'' recently at Geneseo High School. To make the shows more realistic in future episodes, Wakefield asked Geneseo students for their reactions to the show. Wakefield's trip from Los Angeles to Geneseo was a mixture of business and pleasure. He also visited with a friend, Michael Sheridan, a Geneseo High School English teacher.
Back: Available days in January 2003