Day in history for January 28, 2003
- 1853 -- 150 years ago
- There are several things Rock Island needs, and foremost is a first-class hotel. We recommend the city pay the Methodist church society for its church and the school district for its school house, situated in the square, and then donate or lease for a nominal sum the entire square to anyone who will build a hotel thereon.
- 1878 -- 125 years ago
- Copies of the first issue of the Davenport Telegraph were being circulated in Rock Island. It is a weekly publication.
- 1903 -- 100 years ago
- ``Le Voyage En Suisse,'' a pantomimic comedy, was enjoyed by a large crowd last evening at the Illinois Theater.
- 1928 -- 75 years ago
- Nineteen more families were made homeless by a fire that razed one of the historic Bishop Hill colony houses last night, forcing more than two score to flee in near zero weather.
- 1953 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island aldermen approved mutual aid civil defense pacts with Moline, East Moline, Silvis, Andalusia and Milan. Under the agreement, the cities will permit mutual use of civil defense equipment and personnel in the event of an enemy attack.
- 1978 -- 25 years ago
- Dr. Michael A. Orfitelli, assistant professor of physical education at St. Ambrose College, has been nominated for inclusion in the 1978 edition of ``Outstanding Young Men of America,'' a publication recognizing exceptional young men between the ages of 21 and 36 years.
Back: Available days in January 2003